TN1 / TN2 Visa: Professional Workers from Canada and Mexico

The TN visa is a product of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), entered into between the U.S.A., Canada, and Mexico on December 17, 1992. One of the aims of NAFTA was to ease the movement of business/professional persons between the three countries. The TN visa is exclusive for Canadian and Mexican professionals. The TN application process is filed if the employer is the petitioner while the foreign professional worker is the beneficiary. The foreign worker must possess at least a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent.

There’s no limit on the number of years the worker can remain in United States, but the TN visa has to be renewed every 3 years.

There is no numeric yearly quota or limitation to TN Visa holders, which does indeed provide benefits to Canadian and Mexican nationals who qualify. These nationals, with a properly prepared TN petition, can either take a TN petition to Consular Process or, if you are already in the U.S., can file a Change of Status petition without having to leave the U.S., assuming of course all requirements of eligibility are met.

Note: The process is slightly different for Mexican Citizens (TN2), who can only get the visa stamped on their passport through a Consular Interview, instead at the point of entry, as Canadians (TN1) are entitled to do.

TN Visa and Adjustment Of Status (Green Card)

The TN Visa is designed to allow professional workers from Canada and Mexico, to have a temporary job in the US on a specialty field. The TN Visa does not allow dual intent, like the H1B. This means, a TN visa holder cannot look to adjust status to a green card, since the professional worker must have the intent to return home after his temporary job is completed in the US.

In order to seek for permanent resident status, we encourage you to contact an immigration attorney and discuss the options available to you.

List of accepted TN Visa Careers:


  • Accountant–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or C.P.A., C.A., C.G.A., or C.M.A.
  • Architect–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license.
  • Computer Systems Analyst–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post Secondary Certificate and three years’ experience.
  • Disaster relief insurance claims adjuster (claims adjuster     employed by an insurance company located in the territory of a Party, or an independent claims adjuster)–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree and successful completion of training in     the appropriate areas of insurance adjustment pertaining to disaster relief claims; or three years experience in claims adjustment and successful completion of training in the appropriate areas of insurance adjustment pertaining to disaster relief claims.
  • Economist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Engineer–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license
  • Forester–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license
  • Graphic Designer–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate and three years experience.
  • Hotel Manager–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in hotel/restaurant management; or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate in hotel/restaurant management and three years experience in hotel/restaurant management.
  • Industrial Designer–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree;or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate, and three years experience.
  • Interior Designer–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate, and three years experience.
  • Land Surveyor–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree or     state/provincial/federal license.
  • Landscape Architect–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Lawyer (including Notary in the province of Quebec)—L.L.B., J.D., L.L.L., B.C.L., or Licenciatura degree (five years); or membership in a state/provincial bar.
  • Librarian–M.L.S., or B.L.S. (for which another Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree was a prerequisite).
  • Management Consultant–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or equivalent professional experience as established by statement or professional credential attesting to five years experience as a management consultant, or five years experience in a field of specialty related to the consulting agreement.
  • Mathematician (including Statistician)–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Range Manager/Range Conservationist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Research Assistant (working in a post-secondary educational institution)–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Scientific Technician/Technologist –Possession of (a) theoretical knowledge of any of the following disciplines: agricultural sciences, astronomy, biology, chemistry, engineering, forestry, geology, geophysics, meteorology, or physics; and (b) the ability to solve practical problems in any of those disciplines, or the ability to apply principles of any of those disciplines to basic or applied research. 
  • Social Worker–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.–Sylviculturist (including Forestry Specialist)–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Technical Publications Writer–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree, or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate, and three years experience.
  • Urban Planner (including Geographer)–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Vocational Counselor–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.


  • Dentist–D.D.S., D.M.D., Doctor en Odontologia or Doctor en Cirugia Dental or state/provincial license.
  • Dietitian–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license.
  • Medical Laboratory Technologist (Canada)/Medical Technologist (Mexico and the United States) –Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate,and three years experience.
  • Nutritionist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Occupational Therapist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license.
  • Pharmacist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license.
  • Physician (teaching or research only)–M.D. Doctor en Medicina; or state/provincial license.
  • Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license.
  • Psychologist–state/provincial license; or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Recreational Therapist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Registered nurse–state/provincial license or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Veterinarian–D.V.M., D.M.V., or Doctor en Veterinaria; or state/provincial license.


  • Agriculturist (including Agronomist)–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Animal Breeder–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Animal Scientist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Apiculturist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Astronomer–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Biochemist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Biologist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Chemist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Dairy Scientist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Entomologist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Epidemiologist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Geneticist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Geochemist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Geologist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Geophysicist (including Oceanographer in Mexico and the United States)–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Horticulturist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Meteorologist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Pharmacologist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Physicist (including Oceanographer in Canada)—Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Plant Breeder–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Poultry Scientist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Soil Scientist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Zoologist–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.


  • College–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • Seminary–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
  • University–Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
“Helping you to obtain the right visa, when you need it”

When you contact our firm for an initial consultation, we will take the time to educate and explain the immigration laws, regulations and the visa application procedures of the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, formerly known as the INS or Immigration and Naturalization Service). As a client, you will work directly with an experienced attorney who will be able to answer any questions you have and keep you informed and aware of new developments as your case moves forward.

For all of your legal immigration needs, contact the immigration lawyers of Muston & Jack, P.C., at our San Jose or Los Angeles California law offices to schedule an initial consultation.

  • Gabriel Jack helped us apply for an O-1 Visa, when we needed to change visa status and we got it! The documentation required for an O-1 visa is extensive but we managed to complete everything together with Gabriel in about 4 weeks. Gabriel is very professional and knows what is important and he is also easy to talk to and helpful. We are very pleased and will use Gabriel again should there be a need.
    Counrty of Origin Thank you -
  • Gabriel did a good job. He was easy to deal with, returned calls and did what he said he would – nice change from some lawyers I’ve dealt with. My E3 was approved with no trouble at all…and he’s a really nice person, which is a good bonus. Thanks Gabe!!
    Counrty of Origin Many Thanks! -
  • We had previously shopped around for an immigration lawyer, but we went with Gabriel. He was very knowledgeable, friendly, and thorough. He was able to help us to prepare a very detailed interview packet, and we got our E2 visa at the end of the interview.
    Counrty of Origin Successful E2 Visa -
See All Testimonials