L1B visa Intra-company transfers

L1B Visas: Intra-company specialized knowledge workers

The L1B visa is suitable for special knowledge employees who have a detailed understanding of the company’s products and services, as well as the international markets for their products and/or services. The L1B visa beneficiary can have advanced knowledge of procedures and operations of the company, or demonstrate extensive experience with software or proprietary technologies that can only be obtained through years of experience with the employer. The L1B visa is initially valid for three years (or one year for new offices) and can be extended to a total stay of five years.

Although the L1B visa was designed for large multinational corporations, it may also be used by smaller companies with needs to send upper level personnel to the United States.

A petitioner that meets the following requirements may file a blanket petition seeking continuing approval of itself and some or all of its parent, branches, subsidiaries, and affiliates as qualifying organizations if:

The petitioner and each of those entities are engaged in commercial trade or services;
The petitioner has an office in the United States that has been doing business for one year or more;

The petitioner has three or more domestic and foreign branches, subsidiaries, or affiliates; and
The petitioner and the other qualifying organizations have obtained approval of petitions for at least ten “L” managers, executives, or specialized knowledge professionals (L1A Visa) during the previous 12 months; or have U.S. subsidiaries or affiliates with combined annual sales of at least $25 million; or have a United States work force of at least 1,000 employees.

Spouses and children of the L1B visa holder may obtain an L2 visa to enter and remain in the US. L2 Spouses may apply for a work permit while residing in the United States in L2 nonimmigrant status. L2 spouses and children may also attend school in the US.

What are the requirements for obtaining an L1B Visa?

An alien who within the preceding three years has been employed abroad for one continuous year by a qualifying organization may be admitted temporarily to the United States to be employed by a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of that employer in a position requiring specialized knowledge.

“Helping you to obtain the right visa, when you need it”

When you contact our firm for an initial consultation, we will take the time to educate and explain the immigration laws, regulations and the visa application procedures of the USCIS for your particular case. As a client, you will receive personal attention and work directly with an experienced attorney who will be able to answer any questions you have and keep you informed and aware of new developments as your case moves forward.

For all of your legal immigration needs, contact the immigration lawyers of Muston & Jack, P.C., at our San Francisco, San Jose or Pasadena California law offices to schedule an initial consultation.

  • Gabriel Jack helped us apply for an O-1 Visa, when we needed to change visa status and we got it! The documentation required for an O-1 visa is extensive but we managed to complete everything together with Gabriel in about 4 weeks. Gabriel is very professional and knows what is important and he is also easy to talk to and helpful. We are very pleased and will use Gabriel again should there be a need.
    Counrty of Origin Thank you -
  • Gabriel did a good job. He was easy to deal with, returned calls and did what he said he would – nice change from some lawyers I’ve dealt with. My E3 was approved with no trouble at all…and he’s a really nice person, which is a good bonus. Thanks Gabe!!
    Counrty of Origin Many Thanks! -
  • We had previously shopped around for an immigration lawyer, but we went with Gabriel. He was very knowledgeable, friendly, and thorough. He was able to help us to prepare a very detailed interview packet, and we got our E2 visa at the end of the interview.
    Counrty of Origin Successful E2 Visa -
See All Testimonials