L-1A Visa: Office Space Requirement

One of the key requirements for the L1-A Visa is to show proof of sufficient physical premises of the US Office.
This blog will answer a few questions regarding the L-1A Visa Office Space Requirement.
What is the L-1A Visa?

  • The L-1A visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows companies operating both in the US and abroad to transfer certain employees from its foreign operations to US operations for up to 7 years. The employee must have worked for a subsidiary, parent, affiliate or branch office of your US Company outside of the US for at least one year out of the last three years.

How does the business prove that sufficient physical space has been secured?

  • The business is required to submit evidence showing they fulfill one of the the key requirements for the L-1A Visa, secure office space. The business has to show that enough physical space has been secured in the U.S. The following are types of evidence you may submit:
    • Lease Agreement
    • Sub-Leased Contract
    • Location
    • Floor Plan
    • Color Photos

What is the required amount of physical space?

  • The amount of physical space varies by the nature of the business, nonetheless, an appropriate space needs to be secured in order to fulfill this requirement.

What if the business does not have a physical space secured?

  • It is not recommended to submit an L-1A petition if the company has not secured physical space. Not securing physical space may result in a denial of your L-1A petition.

What if the business pays for virtual offices in the US, can the business use that as one of the requirements?

  • For successful L-1A Visa processing, it is essential that the foreign company has ensured enough physical This generally does not include virtual offices and that can lead to the denial of your L-1A petition.

Will I need to submit more evidence to demonstrate that the new office is up and running after one year?

  • Yes, evidence to prove that the offices is still up and running after one year must be submitted if the L-1A Visa Holder requests an extension. A new office must be active and operating within one year after the L-1A Visa Holder’s admission to the U.S. if requesting an extension of stay.

For more information about the L-1A Visa please read our L-1A Visa Blog
Contact us to let our attorneys assist you in efficiently finding the suitable visa petition for you individually or for your intra-company transfer. Our legal team with help you throughout this process, from discussing your options, to gathering and preparing the requisite evidentiary materials, helping you incorportating the company, preparing your visa petition, and being available for any questions you may have throughout the process.
For all of your legal immigration needs, contact the immigration lawyers of Muston & Jack, P.C., at our San Jose or Los Angeles California law offices to schedule an initial consultation.

Immigration Blog & News

“We are very pleased!”

“Gabriel Jack helped us apply for an O-1 Visa, when we needed to change visa status and we got it!”

Denmark Flag Birgitte A, Denmark

“Easy to deal with”

“My E3 was approved with no trouble at all…and he’s a really nice person, which is a good bonus.”

Australia Flag Koshika S, Australia

passport icon

Schedule Your Immigration Consultation Today

Wherever you are, you can trust the attorneys at MJ Law to help you with your US immigration needs. Contact us today by calling 408-293-2026.

mj law logo white
San Jose Office

1625 The Alameda, Suite 315
San Jose, CA 95126
(408) 293-2026

Get Directions

San Francisco Office

1 Sansome St. 35 Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104
(415) 300-0174

Get Directions

Disclaimer: The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.