MigrantFamilyRetreatAs of now the USCIS is not accepting applications for the Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) program but our offices located in San Jose, San Francisco and Pasadena, CA., are intaking clients now.


This blog will answer many of the questions people have regarding this DAPA program.


Who qualifies for DAPA?

To be eligible for DAPA, one must:

  • Be the parent of a United States Citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident.
  • Have been continuously present in the United States since January 1, 2010.
  • Must have been present on November 20, 2014.
  • Not have any kind of lawful immigration status. This means one must have entered the U.S. without papers, or, if one entered lawfully, their immigration status must have expired. One must also not have a lawful immigration status at the time one is applying for DAPA.


How do I apply for DAPA? When can I apply for DAPA?

  • Even if you are eligible or you think you are eligible for DAPA, you cannot apply for this program just yet!
  • The official regulations and the forms have not been released yet however, our attorneys are meeting with prospective clients at the moment.


What kind of background check will be conducted as part of my DAPA request?

  • The USCIS will conduct both a biographic and biometric background check on every applicant.


How much will the DAPA application cost?

  • The application fee (from USCIS) is $465. This fee includes the $380 fee for the employment authorization application and a $85 fee for fingerprints.


What kind of documents do I need in order to submit my DAPA request?

  • Although a list of specific instructions about what documents will be accepted is still pending, here is a list of the kind of documents you can start gathering now:
  • To prove your identity you will need:
    • Birth Certificate
    • State Issued I.D.
    • Passport
  • To prove that you have lived in the U.S. continuously since January 1, 2010, you will need documents such as:
    • Lease agreements
    • Phone bills
    • Credit card bills
    • Medical records
    • School records
      • HS diploma
      • GED certificate
      • Report cards
      • School Transcripts
    • It is recommendable that you gather at least one document for each 12-month period since January 1,2010.
    • To prove that your child is a United States Citizen or Legal Permant Residence you will need:
      • Copies of a Birth Certificate
      • Passport
      • Naturalization Certificate
      • Green Card


What if I don’t have documents to prove that I was here between January 1st 2010 to now?

  • If you are having trouble obtaining certain documents, you might want to consider gathering affidavits from a reputable person (e.g. US Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents), or maybe a reputable company who have personal knowledge that you have been in the U.S. during the time period.


How can I learn more about DAPA?

  • As mentioned previously, our attorneys at MJ Law are talking to prospective clients and getting them ready for when May 20th Our offices are located in San Jose, CA., San Francisco, CA., and Pasadena, CA. Call us at 408-293-2026 for more information.

We will keep updating this blog as we receive more news about this program.

  • Gabriel Jack helped us apply for an O-1 Visa, when we needed to change visa status and we got it! The documentation required for an O-1 visa is extensive but we managed to complete everything together with Gabriel in about 4 weeks. Gabriel is very professional and knows what is important and he is also easy to talk to and helpful. We are very pleased and will use Gabriel again should there be a need.
    Counrty of Origin Thank you -
  • Gabriel did a good job. He was easy to deal with, returned calls and did what he said he would – nice change from some lawyers I’ve dealt with. My E3 was approved with no trouble at all…and he’s a really nice person, which is a good bonus. Thanks Gabe!!
    Counrty of Origin Many Thanks! -
  • We had previously shopped around for an immigration lawyer, but we went with Gabriel. He was very knowledgeable, friendly, and thorough. He was able to help us to prepare a very detailed interview packet, and we got our E2 visa at the end of the interview.
    Counrty of Origin Successful E2 Visa -
See All Testimonials